Friday, July 31, 2026

Almost the end of an era or so we hear...

 On Sunday after church, someone told me that Jake's release was coming very soon and the next bishop had been chosen. He also said that the next bishop would have large shoes to fill and when Jake is released there will be a void in the ward.  I went in to the linger longer and quietly told Jake.  That evening he told me that when I told him it made him very sad.  While, we know there are able men in the ward, whom would magnify the calling, Jake serving as bishop has blessed our lives and has made him a better man. Last night, I asked him what he thought it meant to preside and he said to watch over.  To preside is to love and serve and I have been blessed first hand to watch that man do exactly that, love and serve. I would hope the ward has felt his love and the love of the Savior through him. His capacity to love has been magnified.  There are countless times I have seen him pray for those he presides and lose sleep over them.

After the linger longer, he mentioned it to his counselors and both did not want it to happen and expressed how great of a thing they have going on.  I texted them that evening and expressed my gratitude for them serving and loving my Jake and that part of the reason I think he finds so much joy in the calling is because of those whom he serves with.  Here are there responses: "I have actually been pretty sad all afternoon. Kinda wish no one would have said anything. Ha! This has actually been the most I have every enjoyed serving in the church and I have learned more about counseling in a presidency from the bishop than at any other time while serving in the church. So, yeah, the feeling is mutual." (Ricky Packard) and "For me it is such a privilege to be able to love, sustain, support, and be friends with your Jake. Which I will side with your Renee' is the best Jake! The love that that man has is right up there next to the love of the Savior. I learn so much and enjoy so much being able to serve with these men. It does make me sad. But oh how grateful I am to have the opportunity to serve with such spiritual giants and disciples of Jesus Christ! Absolutely the feeling is mutual!".  As if my words do not speak enough of the love Jake has for those he presides over, these do.  

I have learned that being bishop is a family calling.  You have sacrifice time, activities, and meals but the rewards are so much higher. It is a time in our lives that I would not change and would repeat.   I would tell Jake when he would apologize at times for needing to leave that things can wait, we are in the people business and to be there for the people.  Now, when the time comes, maybe he will be able to finish some of those started projects that are not yet done.  

No comments: