Sunday, October 4, 2026

Will's Mission Call

 Friday, 10/2, seemed like another normal day at work until I saw that Will's mission call was ready and then I became anxious.  We were uncertain of the type of mission he would serve or if he would be able to serve. Calls typically come in on a Tuesday and it was Friday....and they typically take a couple weeks, and his papers had only been submitted 9 days.  Why would I not be anxious?!?! 

However, Jake had told me that the day before when he had his monthly meeting with President Mosey (Stake president) that they had briefly talked about the three young men from our ward that had papers currently in. Jake felt about 95% certain Will would be proselyting because President Mosey had not been back and forth with medical about him. 

I texted Jake and then the girls.  Ginny called and we came up with a plan for food, to have a few people over, and set up a zoom for family not local for him to open his call.  We picked up some of his favorite foods and decorated a little while we sent him to get a nugget tray for "dinner" (wink, wink).  

He came home and read his call. As he read it, I wept with gratitude that he was able to serve and to see him so incredibly happy. I reflected on how hard that boy has worked to be able to submit his papers. He was smiles all night.  He has been called to in the Utah Saratoga Springs Mission and his service begins on January 13, 2027.  Our family celebrated with him and some of our close ward members to him. 

The next day, Jake texted his parents the following: 

“Mom and dad, I didn’t know if I would get the opportunity to send Jake on his mission.  I kept seeing all of his weaknesses and challenges and didn’t know if it was possible.  I kept trying to get him to make changes but wasn’t seeing much progress.  Then July came.  He attended FSY and came back somehow a little changed.  His spoken desire was matched by his actions.  I had my final interview with him and couldn’t keep myself from crying.  I was such a baby.  However, I still had my doubts.  I had to pray several times before I could hit submit.  I spoke to Him, my omnipotent Father, and expressed all of my concerns about his preparation.  Patiently the Spirit told me that Jake was ready.  He reminded me of the many times He had trusted me despite all my weakness.  Even after that, I had to pray again and ask if He was sure.  He was.  So I, with greater confidence, added my comments about a boy who had the disadvantage (or at least added challenge) of having a father as bishop who saw all the shortcomings, but that he had worked so hard for the opportunity to serve and that he was ready.  I was taken back by how quickly he received his call, just three weeks from when I hit submit, but see the wisdom in helping him keep the momentum.  And oh how I loved to see how happy Jake was.  I am so happy to see him happy.  I am so grateful that God is patient with me and continues to help me.  I see in Jake many parallels to how the Savior has worked with me.  Now I believe I will get the opportunity to present Jake to the ward, probably as one of my final acts as a bishop, and send him off to Saratoga Springs… to serve a mission that he has longed to do for so many years.  

Thank you for being such wonderful parents.  Your love for Christ and for our family has made all the difference to me.”






No comments: