Monday, August 17, 2026

Comfort months later and last weeks of summer

As you may recall, in November of last year, there was a new Stake President called and I struggled with understanding the process of revelation and understanding because we had felt Jake was going to be called in. This past week as a busy one with bishoping.  Although we are studying in Job this week, it was no doubt the words of Uriah to Esther came to my mind last Friday that Jake was called/stayed for a time such as this. On Sunday 8/9, our dear friend Debbie Donald lost her sister unexpectedly. Jake ended up doing the funeral on Saturday 8/15 because she and her dad are in our ward and the bishop in the other ward did not reach out to them (she (deceased) and her other sister lived together and attended another ward together).  Wednesday (8/12), Jake received a call about a member in the ward that was taken to the hospital via ambulance and the wife did not expect him to live.  We left and went to the hospital when the call came through about 10:30pm and stayed with the family at the hospital until about 2:30am.  The brother, Bob Allen, passed away Thursday evening.  As I watched my husband show up and comfort, I knew he was saved for this week to be there for his ward. They needed him and he needed them. He has expressed one of the reasons he was a little discouraged not to be called in was he could have 9 more years of ministering.   His first full week of school with students was one of the harder ones in over a decade he said but it was compensated with opportunities to serve others and comfort.  The ministering made the week more bearable at school for him. He was also able to minister to one of his counselors who was working through some personal struggles or faith evolutions.  Jake was meant for this time and was able to share some of his experiences as well. 

Jake is remarkable with youth as well.  He has called most of the youth 16+ to serve as ward missionaries and had them over with his counselors for a training.  He blesses the lives of so many. 
 
The ward missionaries with the bishopric
 

Summers seem to pass too quickly as does time I have learned. The best days are those spent soaking up time with those I love the most. This summer we spent time together on trips, had lots of laughs at Aubs and Will when their wisdom teeth were pulled, attended summer camps, got the final inspection on the shed, and spent time with family & friends.  I enjoyed a few hours in the pool with my boys and before the boys got back from FSY, we went to a Redbirds game with the girls since I needed to go for work any way. 

 

For the first time, I only have one in school but each are busy doing their thing. Christopher is in 11th grade and driving this year. 

Jacob, my Will,  is preparing to submit his mission papers in the next week or so. He will do a semester at U of M while he waits to serve. 

Aubree is working at the hospital and starts her last year in her program in a couple weeks. 

 

Ginny does equal time traveling and working it seems. She’s quite the hygienist and explorer. She has a new guy friend and they have been out a couple times. I guess yesterday (8/17) they decided to date exclusively. 

My Jacob is in year 20 (I think or maybe 21) teaching. There is no tired last first day teacher tired with students.  His shed he built is fully permitted and complete as of this summer. The weekend before school started we went boating with our neighbors which was relaxing.  He’s a man of many talents.

As for me, I decided to try to learn to make beaded hummingbirds.  I made 2, which are not great, but I wanted to prove that I could.  No, I did not make the necklace I am wearing, Ginny bought it for me because I love the birds so much. 

 

 

 

 

No comments: