Friday, April 16, 2010

So, recently Jake was offered another employment position at a charter for school. He has been asked to come as the the director or curriculum and instruction or the dean of students. At first, he was ready to go but we are know trying to decide if it is best for our family. The pay is a little more but the hours are longer each day and he will not get the same breaks that we enjoy now. Also, it could eventually open more doors possibly to other opportunities. Over the next three years, he could hold the students more accountable and feels he could have a greater impact on the students. If you weigh out the added hours and days of work, the hourly wage is actually less than he makes now but both are salaried positions. However, if he stays with Memphis City Schools, he has tenure and if he tutors or takes a couple more classes, the pay is equal or a tad more than the charter school and he is still off when the girl are off and the days are shorter. Also, a large portion of his student loans would be forgiven next year and he has a little more flexibility to get off for a couple hours to attend the girls things. We enjoy summers together and like the idea of being able to visit family or go places in the summer.
I have been praying that the Lord will direct Jake to make the best decision for our family but Jake asked me last night to pray that I may know too. Ultimately, I think either can be a good choice and will support him in the decision made but I, too am asking the Lord for guidance. With that said, I believe most of the answers to my prayers come through other people, so that is why I am sharing. Here are a few of my current thoughts, the charter school would give a profound impact on the students but our children would lose some of that time and influence...however, our children have a strong, good family life and most of the students do not. Are we not suppose to serve and help others but at the same time, family is top priority. I think the decision comes down primarily to the time involved and possible career path, Jake may want to pursue. He loves teaching and does not desire to be in corporate America nor administration at this point, but who knows what tomorrow holds. He wanted to teach for the impact on his students and to be a positive role model. He has succeeded and is a wonderful teacher, his stats and test scores show that but at the same time, I do not want him to pass an opportunity...see how I am torn? If we look at our treasures in life, it is not monetary things but our families and relationships with others, so that is why the pay is not too much of a factor and besides that it is about the same. I suppose this is a blessed dilemma because we are blessed that Jake has employment and our family is taken care of. And it is not very heard of that a person can assume an administrative position after only four years of teaching.....

2 comments:

Amy Eaton said...

I agree with Jake that you need to get the answer also...I remember when we were deciding on moving out there or not and I told mike the same thing that I would support him. But when things didn't work out I blamed him. A lot of great things came out of the move and a am grateful for all the things we learned but it was sooo hard to have to come to terms of leaving after being there for such a short time...especially because I really loved it there. Anyway,It is always important to feel that the Lord will let you know what you should do. They both seem like great opportunities but I would lean towards doing what will bring in the most income along with opportunities to grow in the future. Don't know if this helped any but keep praying you will make the right choice.

Robert and Charity said...

The relief society message this month was on personal revelation. I really enjoyed it because a few things really stuck out to me. When it comes down to it, the lock is on our side of the veil. Once we ask, we have to have the faith to act on what the answer is. I have struggled with this, but we have to realize that the Lord does know best...and he will answer us. I love you Renee and I am sure everything will work out perfectly. It may seem like a huge choice now, but I bet you look back on this and see that it was just a small stepping stone along the way. :)