Sunday, March 18, 2018

What do I want from the Savior?

For some reason last night, I allowed myself to get very discouraged. I was not counting my blessings and comparing myself to others.  I had saw where someone that I know was surprised with a new car and I my mind decided to think "why am I not showered with gifts from Jake", "why is that I work so hard but am not fortunate to have exquisite things",  "why am I not beloved", and other crazy things.  Yet, as I laid in bed last night, I thought of all the wonderful things I do have and all the simple, small tokens of love and gifts that I am showered with from Jake.  He has a way of making me feel okay with who I am.  I love finding notes from him and gestures such as washing my car, vacuuming my car, holding my hand, a brush across my back, or simply re-filling my water bottle. I am truly blessed but what I find more ironic is that is seemed that the Relief Society lesson today was exactly what I needed.  Rebekah, my sister, taught it and the lesson was based on a talk from general conference last October entitled "Value beyond Measure" by Joy D Jones. I thought I would share some of the parts of the talk that stood out to me and lifted my spirits.  Often, I think there are times where we forget our divine worth or feel down on ourselves and need reminders. I have no doubt that today's lesson was exactly what I needed.
"...worth means to value ourselves the way Heavenly Father values us, not as the world values us....worthiness is achieved through obedience."
"No matter what, we always have worth in the eyes of our Heavenly Father.Despite this marvelous truth, how many of us struggle, from time to time, with negative thoughts or feelings about ourselves? I do. It’s an easy trap. Satan is the father of all lies, especially when it comes to misrepresentations about our own divine nature and purpose. Thinking small about ourselves does not serve us well. Instead it holds us back. As we’ve often been taught, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”We can stop comparing our worst to someone else’s best. “Comparison is the thief of joy."
"If we choose to focus on our negative thoughts and doubt our worth instead of clinging to the Savior, it becomes more difficult to feel the impressions of the Holy Ghost."
Oh and one more thing that stood out from sacrament today were two questions that were asked to contemplate: 1. What do I want from the Savior? and 2. What will I allow the Savior to do for me?

No comments: