Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Random thoughts from Jake

 

Sunday, June 13th, 2021
Why did God allow the people of Alma to get captured?  These are a people who left with Zeniff and then we’re in bondage to the lamanites.  Things got worse when Noah, son of —, became king.  He lead the people into iniquity, spiritual bondage, and caused many of the men to die in battles with the lamanites.  Abinadi testifies against their wickedness and converts one of Noah’s wicked priests, Alma.  Being truly repentant, he went forth and taught and testified of the truths taught by Abinadi.  Over 400 people become converted.  King Noah was not happy about this and sent an army to capture or kill them.  AND GOD DELIVERS THEM!  He warned Alma and lead them safely away from the army.  God made it so the army was unable to overtake them.  The people of Alma established a home and began to prosper in the land of Helam.  But get this, a lamanite army finds them.  This army was sent after King Limhi, Noah’s son, who taught the people repentance and righteousness, and were delivered by God through another miracle.  This army came upon Amulon, one of the still wicked priests of Noah, who kidnapped the lamanite daughters.  But they have mercy on the people and actually allow Amulon to be a leader.  They make him the leader over the people of Alma.  Let me repeat that, the wicked priest is made a ruler over the righteous people of Alma that were delivered from King Noah’s army.  WHY?  If God had delivered the people of Alma before, why let a wicked priest rule over them? 
Here is something amazing?  The people of Alma did not ask why.  Mosiah 24:16 - And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience. 
THEN, the Lord delivers them out of bondage by placing a deep sleep over the lamanite guards.  WHY?  WHY GO THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE? 
There must be something more to this story.

Sunday, March 14th
Why do I go to church?  Inspiration and revelation.  Today as I sat listening to our branch President, he said a few things that really prompted me to try to do a few things differently. 
 
Sunday, November 15th 2020
    While listening to conference, there were two things I felt inspired to do.  First, repent.  The Area 70 that spoke gave a great talk about being prepared.  When he spoke of the parable of the bridegroom, he mentioned the inconvenient time that the bridegroom came.  Death does not come at a convenient time.  It is best to be prepared.  So the thought came to me that I need to repent.  To repent means to turn to God.  I did this verily well during the lock down.  However, when school started back I got lazier in my daily discipleship.  I became casual (which results in casualties) instead of deliberate.  I need to change that.  I need to get back into deliberate daily prayer and scripture study.  I was a better person when I was, more patient, more enjoyable than when I am not. 
    Second, reengage in our daily family scripture study.  This very much goes with the first, but also involves my family.  We were so good, but distraction and being busy takes our eyes off the Savior.
    Finally, I received inspiration awhile back to record my inspiration.  Now I am fulfilling that inspiration, and I hope to continue.
    Other than that, Covid cases have been increasing rapidly in the US.  It has me worried once again.  I  need to discuss with my family about doing a better job about distancing.  Maybe tomorrow during our family study.

Monday, November 16th 2020
    Had a terrible migraine today and laid down.  Renee was wonderful and covered my tutoring sessions. 
    As far as inspiration, I was calm when working with my son on his paper today.  His mom was getting frustrated so I took over.  I don’t know if that officially falls under inspiration, but the Spirit definitely helped me remain calm in working with him and identifying areas he needed to improve.
    I also remembered to read my scriptures today.  When out of the habit for a few weeks, this was certainly inspiration.

Wednesday, November 18th 2020
    I noticed that when I read my scriptures and say my prayers that I accomplish more and am more productive.  My desire to get things done seem to improve.  I don’t know exactly how it works, but my ability to hear the Spirit and follow promptings is increased, even for the stuff that we may not consider spiritual.

Sunday, November 22nd 2020
    There is no denying the miracle of the Book of Mormon.  It has improved my ability to get work done.  Work that seems completely unrelated to my spiritual growth.  I grade papers more efficiently, stay caught up on school emails better, and get the tasks done around the house I need to.  It is so nice and relieving to get those things done.  It also improves my relationships.  I really enjoyed my week with my students.

No comments: