Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy Independence Day!

Happy Birthday America!  How fortunate are we to live in this great land. The 4th of July is usually one of my favorite holidays but I have not enjoyed it so much this year.  When I think of the 4th of July, I think of being with family and firework celebrations but I have done neither today.  Charity is still recovering, Becky worked on getting things ready for her school year, and Jake needs his space sometimes and does not always enjoy being around everyone often.   Last Wednesday night, I took Charity to the emergency room and she got diagnosed with appendicitis and had surgery the next morning.  She had a birthday party planned for Izzy on Saturday, so Sandra, Becky, and myself made that happen. It worked well because I am very simple, Sandra does over the top parties, and Charity is somewhere in the middle so that is what the party was.  Sandra left for California Saturday afternoon. I was glad that Ginny arrived home safely from EFY Sunday.  I am grateful she gets the experience but I miss her the week she is gone.  Honestly, the last few days I have felt somewhat distance from others.  I want to do all I can for Charity right now but do not want to exhaust Jake either.  I enjoy being around family often and am good with people stopping by with no reason but he is a loner. It is something that we have adjusted with in our marriage. I am definitely not as social as I once was and am okay with that, it is a lifestyle that I have come to enjoy. However, I do not consider family as being social and will do all I can to help ease the load and carry any burden that I can for them. Mom has been here helping Charity and her and dad are almost here daily while she is going through the divorce.  My parents are very selfless when it comes to helping others, especially their children.  Here are a few of my random thoughts for the day.
1. Service to others is the greatest thing we can do.
2. Stop the negative "noise" and condescending self-talk and focus on what is in your control and what you can do for others
3. Be in a place of gratitude - it will bring you more things to be grateful for
4. You have value - always! Find how you can be of value to others when you feel lost - step out of your comfort zone (that's not where brilliant life change happens) and be a light to the world.
5. If you feel an instinct to serve, if you see a need, if you have an inkling of an idea that scares you - get after it and make it happen! Do BIG things - especially for others.
6. Isn't that what our forefathers did for us by helping secure our independence- it was a service to each of us. Let us not forget

No comments: