Monday, July 24, 2017

Our prayers are not unanswered nor in vain

Recently,  Rebekah shared something that had profound influence on me about prayers and prayers being answered. My prayers and scripture reading are not as regular occurances as they need to be but I hope to remember to do this. I wanted to share part of Rebekah's blog in her words because they are fitting to how I felt as well: "Yesterday, I struggled more than I’d like to admit as I fought my inner-self.  Then I went to sacrament meeting today.  The talks today were on pioneers, not my favorite subject.  Usually, I tune out during the Pioneer Day talks.  After all, my ancestors didn’t cross the plains so how do these talks really relate to me?  However, today’s speakers caught me off guard as they captivated me.  There was one talk given by a young woman who talked about how she was a pioneer for her family.  Another speaker talked about the pioneers of this area.  The last speaker talked about lessons learned from pioneers.  She had an ancestor that died crossing the plains with her family. After sharing this story, she speaker posed the question that many of ask during times of trials.  Her ancestor was doing exactly what the Lord had asked of her and still she died. She then said her ancestor might have thought, “Lord, I’m doing everything you asked of me and I still died.  What’s the point?” She then expounded, Joseph Smith must have been asking a similar question when he received this revelation (D&C 121: 7-10)

7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt the on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes
9. Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friends hands.
10. Thou are not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgressions, as they did Job.

How many scripture stories are there of prophets who followed the Lord perfectly and things did not end well for them.  Joseph Smith and Job have already been mentioned.  She also mentioned Abinadi.   Being burned alive is definitely not a desired outcome.  That struck home for me.  How many times within the past week, month, or year have I asked the question, “Why is this happening to me?  I’m doing all thou has asked of me so what’s the point?”  Maybe there are lessons left for me to learn in order to best serve in the Lord’s kingdom in the future.  Maybe it is not the season for me to experience certain things.  Maybe, as one dear sister commented in Relief Society, we need to experience trials so we can feel comfortable in the presence of those such as Job after we depart this mortal life. "  (this is from her blog Sunday 7/23/17- she writes very well and there's no way I could've said it better but I loved Lauren Parker's talk- the last one referred to)
She also shared something that had profound influence on me about prayers and prayers being answered. My prayers and scripture reading are not as regular occurances as they need to be but I hope to remember to do this. Rebekah read an article or blog about a lady who adds a "but if" statement to her prayers that I hope to apply. The formula recommended is:
"My Desire + ”But If” + A Godly Desire" 
While I know God hears and answers prayers,  there are times when I wonder why the righteous (or what I think are righteous prayers) are not answered sooner or at all. I am fully aware that our prayers are answered in a Heavenly Fsther's time but sometimes that can be hard to accept when what you are praying for is good. Here is an example Rebekah gives of the prayer formula in action, “God, please bless that I will be included in my group of friends, but if not, even if I feel excluded, help me to be kind and generous.”  I look forward to try this method of prayer and hope to notice a change in my urgency to pray.  I will still pray for things my heart desires but will make sure I add the “but if” statement. 

No comments: