Saturday, December 19, 2020

Will's talk

Will and Aubree have been asked to speak in sacrament tomorrow....it is his first talk. Here it is:

 

Hello Everyone,

            For those who don’t know me I am Jake Farrell. I was asked to speak about our favorite Christmas Story whether it be a book, or an experience and it has to be centered around the spirit. Just so you know we couldn’t choose the Nativity story. If we were able to, I would have chosen that.

            The story I chose was our traditional obstacle course. This is an experience that I look forward to every year. How it works is the kids go to bed early  on Christmas Eve and the adults make an obstacle course. The obstacle course begins as you open the door with traps, riddles, bells, and anything else that may get us.The kids wake up and try to beat the it without cheating and waking the adults. The kids sleep upstairs. When we wake up around 4:00 A.M we make our way top to bottom doing every challenge. The rules were simple:  

1.     No cheating.

2.     Make it through the obstacle course without waking adults.  

3.     No peeking when the obstacle course is being set-up.

4.     If the kids win they chose when to open the gifts, if we lose our parents chose when to open them.

 

            One of my favorite experiences of this is when Aubree got scared and screamed when a door alarm went off opening my parents’ bedroom door and she pushed Christopher, who was way younger in front.

            I related the obstacle course to the spirit.  They are related because life will throw trials (Obstacles) but the spirit (Team) will help you get through them. The spirit helps because he tries to warn us about bad choices by giving us promptings and helps us know good choices too with good feelings. He can prompt you to recognize answers to prayers.  For example: This year when quarantine started, I was riding my bike one day. As I was riding, I fell and slid down a driveway. No one recognized at first but when they saw they ran to help me. I had lost a chunk of my knee and had sliced my elbow badly; I would have to get stiches for both. During the entire experience my family help me the whole time. If we are going to be specific when I say family, I mean Ginny, Aubree, and my mother. They were the reason I got through stiches.

            I bear my testimony that I know the church is true. I know with the spirit and your family by your side you can get through anything. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: