Sunday, June 2, 2019

Girl's Camp 2019 (5/29-6/1)

Girls camp was this last week (Wednesday thru Friday). Jake was able to attend with the girls and I.  We loved having him here. As a leader my heart was touched and filled with joy watching new friendships form and service happen. I believe hearts were touched lives changed. 
Arriving home, however, that evening I began to feel that there was little purpose for my life. I found myself a little overwhelmed with laundry, finances, and the role in my family as a wife and mother. Later that evening, I ride over to visit with Charity and Becky a minute. Laughing with them brightened my mood but yet driving back home, feelings unwanted of being unappreciated and minimal love entered my mind. It is no secret I wonder how I scored Jake. He his my anchor and calming device. My children are incredible. Watching our girls this week , seeing their interactions, and hearing their testimonies inspires me. Aubree bears a strong witness of the gospel and both exemplify it. Those unwanted feelings diminished as I spoke with Jake. He keeps me going! 
Sitting in sacrament meeting I felt a tender mercy or tiny miracle from above when I opened to read and this was on my screen: “In Times of Discouragement, Remember the Widow of Nain- Especially when we feel forgotten or overlooked, we must remember: Jesus came to the widow's aid precisely in her time of need, and He will come to us as well.” What a beautiful reminder that I am loved. The Lord knew I needed that and knows me.

One of our traditions we established three years ago is D.E.A.R. (Drop everything and read), which gives the opportunity to for the girls to stop wherever they may be and read the scriptures. We tried to make a connection this year with DEAR and Bambi. The story of Bambi is about building friendships. His mother died so he had to surround himself with good friends. Our circles of friendships change as our lives change.  There is a story that was shared a couple of months ago at a training I attended about Elder Tom Perry.  Tom Perry moved his family to New York but to give the family the life desired, he lived outside the city and had a. little commute each day to work on the subway. He notices a man being territorial in a certain spot and decided to beat him there one morning to get his spot and see what would happen. Over the next few days it became a friendly competition.  Chatter started to see who was going to get the spot. People who never talked began to talk. Friendships were made in that unfriendly subway in New York, people began to bring in cupcakes for birthdays and ask about soccer games. One simple act created friendships. 
Be strong and courageous. Courageous must include a yes. Begin somewhere. 

















No comments: