Saturday, March 14, 2020

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

     The world has been in a state crazy as nations have been fighting the corona-virus. Parts of China and the nation of Italy have basically shut down, and have begged the United States to heed their counsel, not waiting to believe the extremities before it is knocking on the door. As the virus has now made it's way into the United States and multiples rapidly day by day, measures have been put in place.  We, as a nation, are a haughty and prideful people and have not taken it serious thus far.  It seems this week, a new perspective has been given.  Before Thursday of this week, I had not been anxious nor apprehensive because I feel like I have strived to heed counsel of church leaders and to have short tern supplies on hand. I had mentioned to Jake that I could not decide if people were beginning to over react (store shelves are literally empty as of Wednesday of this week) or not taking it serious enough by not closing schools and trying to prevent a rapid spread. Are we as a nation heeding what other devastated countries have shared or are we too prideful? However, Thursday afternoon the First Presidency, announced that all church meetings, including sacrament, were closed until further notice.  It was then that I almost immediately felt uneasy. If the prophet a God, whom was a doctor by profession, has been inspired to suspend sacrament and proxy work in the temples, then this must be crucial for our nation. I suddenly felt that maybe I am not prepared to teach my children the gospel alone and President Nelson has been trying to prepare us with an increased emphasis on gospel centered home study. While Jake and I will counsel with out children and devise a plan, we will continue to observe the Sabbath and try to improve our family spiritual readiness.
     Schools across the nation have been closing down until the end of March (we did have Spring Break scheduled for one week anyway) and others through April to hopefully slow the spread of the virus. Bartlett announced yesterday that we will close through March. Little is known about this strand of the virus and there is not a treatment plan yet, so the idea to close schools, encourage social distancing, and try to stop a peak is to not overwhelm the medical field to where people are turned away. As of now, the elderly or those with weakened immune systems are most susceptible, the incubation period is long and people can be spreading it without even knowing. What can I do to help? I worry that the elderly may not have supplies needed and while I strive to protect my children and make sure we have toilet paper and medicines, who is doing the same for the widow? I messaged the branch president to ask if he is aware of any needs in the branch that we can help with today but have not heard back. It may be a matter of time before parts of our nation are "locked down" or quarantined. 
      I think it is also completely normal and okay for me to feel anxious or apprehensive. The unknown can be scary at times and just because I have those feelings on certain aspects of it (like teaching my children the gospel alone (let's be real, those sacrament talks were nice) or if we can not leave our home for weeks, making sure we have all we need), that does not mean I do not have faith nor that do not trust God is in control (this may help to humble our nation and bring us closer to him). 

No comments: