Wednesday, May 6, 2020

19 years and counting....

     Yesterday Jake and I celebrated our 19th anniversary. It was quite different than others as the economy is starting to re-open this week but in slow phases- certain criteria has to be made and there are three phases.  However, we picked up Mexican and looked at rock.  Actually we purchased rock for the front yard and for Jake to begin his patio out back with...he was a happy camper.  That afternoon, we unloaded rock (2 tons) and moved rock again and again. It was an ideal anniversary to me just being around him.  If I had to do our life all over again, I would do it again.  He is my person.  I did not do or say anything mushy but did post this:"19 years with this guy and most days I still wonder why I was so blessed. He’s the best, a great dad, kind, creative, and .... All Mine! If you want the sweet, mushy mess- you can read his birthday post from March. Happy anniversary Jacob Farrell- I LOVE you!" 
     Last night for scripture though, he shared about marriage and told our children the importance of it. He also expressed that he hopes that they marry someone who brings them joy as I bring him (the opposite is also true...he is one of my greatest joys).  Then today, I see this from this morning: "
Yesterday my wife and I celebrated 19 years of marriage. I would describe our marriage as everyday. It is one where I want to do the everyday stuff with her. When I go to Home Depot I want Renee to go with me even though I know she is going to tel me that I do not need another drill. My favorite part of the day is sitting down, cuddling next to Renee, and watching our favorite shows. When a pandemic comes around and shuts you in the house, she is the one that I want to spend everyday with. In a word, our marriage is everyday.
Now, if I could give a piece of advice to my newlywed self... You have made it through day one and you already made at least two mistakes. This is great. You are setting low expectations, and you will make mistakes on the regular. Thing is, Renee is not looking for superman. She wants someone to listen, and your are pretty good at that even if you forget a lot of stuff. Her favorite is Mexican food and chocolate ice cream. She will eat the generic stuff, but be a pal and introduce her to Blue Bell. When you argue it is best to apologize quickly even though you are right, which is most the time. Good news, the biggest argument you will have is over a burrito. Do not mess with this girl's Mexican food. Renee has the most beautiful smile, do your best to see it daily. When you hug her you get to smell her hair. Your most relaxing moments will be listening to her talk, and this come natural to her. She likes to tuck her thumb when you are holding hands, which is different but still worth it. She will be the best decision and greatest joy of your life, so enjoy each and everyday. You are going to have a fantastically happy life next to her." How sweet is that and how elegant are his words! He truly is the best.

No comments: