Sunday, January 5, 2020

Happy 50th Anniversary

Jake's parents (Lynn and Tommie Farrell) celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on 1/4.  The family celebrated it with them on 1/3.  As I sat, listened,  and watched everyone my mind reflected on the qualities that it must to reach that milestone.  My heart was full of love towards Jake as I watched him dance with the girls and just enjoy his siblings.  He loves to be around his family and play games with them.  Before the celebration, we took a moment just with his parents for Jake and Aubree to do the song "You Say"  for them. Before they began, he shared the hope they had installed in him and that he believes what they had taught them. He also wrote a letter to them and shared that the contents of the letter also further shed light on it.
"Dearest Mom and Dad,
         Words cannot sufficiently express how much your influence has been a source of good and strength in my life.  Perhaps my life can one day stand as a greater testament of your love.  However, you should know at this time just a few of the lessons that still guide my life and how your love has helped me in my most difficult times.
         Mom, you used to tell me every morning going to school to remember who I am.  I thought at the time that you were simply trying to get me to be a good kid and to make good choices and am still convinced that is part of the reason.  What you may not know is that those are some of the most powerful words that guide my life and that I have found perhaps the deeper meaning that you would hope would come to me one day.  I am more than a good kid.  I am a child to our God and the brother of our Savior.  Their infinite love is with me even during my lowest moments and through all the sins.  That is the love I feel from you.  Unconditional, unrelenting, and unbreakable. 
         Dad, I did not appreciate your love until I was a teenager and did not know the depth of your compassion.  You may not recall when Carlos came to you one day crying about his father.  You spoke to him in your office and comforted him.  I hurt so bad for him, but when you offered healing words to him you also mended my soul.  There was also the time that you interceded with mom at a time that she was particularly upset with me, so you took her on a drive.  Not only was that wonderful (you may have saved my life), but you never questioned me about my decision and never reprimanded me for causing her such distress.  These are not the only examples, but I hope they convey some meaning.  Your compassion was unconditional, unrelenting, and unbreakable.
         Now I have had the challenge of living up to your examples.  I am fortunate to have found Renee to remind me of those lessons in that she possesses them in great abundance. I was absolutely crazy to marry her six weeks after my mission, and my own children will meet their maker if they attempt any such action.  Yet now, I believe God interceded as an act of mercy and grace despite the craziness of such actions.  There are choices I have made in my life that would probably break your heart and that I would not share with you at the time I made them.  I will share them with you as I build the courage to do so, because I want you to know just how much your influence has helped me hope for and believe that I could have a mighty change of heart.  That I, a sinner and rebel to God, could still feel the love of a Savior and could become a better man, one worthy of the love and example you always provided.  Renee endured the heartache that surely would have been yours had I not married her so quickly.  I commit to sharing those things with you, hopefully without breaking your heart, so you can see how wonderful you are and how powerful your love is.
         In closing, I want you to know that I believe.  I believe the words mom spoke to me as a young man.  I believe in compassion.  I believe in love.  Despite all that I have done to offend and hurt, to reject and cast off, and despite my own questions as to whether I could ever be redeemed… I believe I am loved.  You are the hope, grace, and mercy I do not deserve.  May I repay you in the good I will do for others."
-->
Jake and I with our eldest, Ginny
1/2 Siblings- Becky Huzzey, Lynn Farrell, Jeff West, and Cindy

Just a little bit of dancing fun



Ginny, Papa, and Grammy
Aubree with Papa and Grammy

Callie and Aubree- cousins
Today at church, Jake and I taught Sunday School together.  I enjoyed it. It is no secret that he makes me better and spreads strength wherever he goes.  His testimony strengthens mine and he is my rock.  This year as I read the Book of Mormon I am hoping to fall in love with it again and help my children hopefully do the same.  Now that Ginny is preparing to leave home, I look back and wish that I would have taught my children more from the Book of Mormon and read more often with them.  My wish for all of them is that they have enough...I wish them enough....enough good times to make it through the hard times, enough hard times to appreciate the good times, enough joy to surpass the pain, enough faith to not ever give up, enough hellos to help with good-byes, etc. 

Megan and Blake Davis Family


Jenny and Brian Langford Family

Tommie and Karen Farrell family
Lynn and Tommie Farrell with grandbabies

Farrell family crew


Chris and Crystal Farrell family

David and Sarah Fullmer family

Jake and his siblings

No comments: